We try as often as possible to include super foods, and in this recipe it’s cabbage. In fact, according to Wiki studies, cabbage has protective effects against colon cancer amongst many other diseases. Cabbage is also an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B6 and folate. That sounded like good enough reason to try this recipe.
It’s best to season the mixture with what you and your family prefer. I made the cumin and red pepper flakes as part of the ingredients and NOT optional. But if you feel on the adventurous side, you may want to consider including a little brown sugar, celery seed and/or add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
Another one-pot wonder… The original recipe called for a small head of cabbage, but after making it, we both felt it could use a large head for a better meat to veggie ratio. A slice of toasted crusty bread with a garlic-butter sauce was a perfect compliment to the goulash.
Note: It may seem like you don’t have enough liquid at first but when the cabbage cooks down it will be perfect.
Ground Turkey Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Goulash
- 2 lbs. ground turkey, (or pork, or lamb, or beef)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 6 oz. vegetable or chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- A few leaves of chopped fresh basil
- Heat a Dutch oven or extra large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil and cook the onions until translucent. Cook beef or turkey meat and onion in the hot Dutch oven until browned.
- Drain and discard grease.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, and fresh basil. Use fire roasted or flavored diced tomatoes for more flavor.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Cover Dutch oven, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is tender. This will take about 30 minutes.
Loosely adapted from a recipe on isavea2z.com
1 thought on “Ground Turkey Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Goulash”