Paprika-Parmesan Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Aioli: the ultimate roasted potato side dish. Incredibly crispy, superbly spiced, and served with a downright addictive dipping sauce; although we opted to forego the aioli this time around.
The combination of bold spices and a garlicky dipping sauce really brings the humble potato to life. While this method involves boiling, smashing, and then roasting, you won’t believe how crispy the potatoes get for being roasted rather than deep-fried. Smashed potatoes are the perfect alternative when you’re craving crispy potatoes, but want something a bit more wholesome than French fries.
They paired beautifully with our Crispy Chicken Under a Brick, and a side of silky Braised Asparagus.
Paprika-Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1.5 lbs baby yellow potatoes
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (sub avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or avocado oil mayo)
- 2 Tbsp. plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place garlic cloves in a piece of a foil and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Wrap the garlic in foil and place in the oven while it preheats. Continue roasting garlic while you boil the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover with one inch of cold water. Add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, set the timer for 15 minutes. At this point, the potatoes should be just past fork-tender. Drain potatoes in a colander and let sit for 5 minutes to allow water to completely drain off. Remove garlic from the oven and set aside. (Keep oven temperature at 450ºF)
- In a small bowl, combine smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil on your largest baking sheet, making sure to coat all corners. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet, making sure to leave about 2 inches of space in between each one.
- Use the bottom of a measuring cup or a potato masher to gently “smash” each potato down until it is around 1/2-inch thick. Brush remaining 2 tablespoons oil over tops of potatoes and sprinkle with spice mixture. Roast potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Remove garlic from foil and roughly chop. Use the flat side of your knife blade (preferably a chef’s knife) to mash the garlic until it forms a paste. Add garlic to a bowl, along with mayonnaise, yogurt, 1 tablespoon. chopped chives, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and sprinkle each one evenly with Parmesan. Place back in the oven for 5 more minutes.Transfer potatoes to a platter and garnish with extra chopped chives. Serve with garlic aioli.
Adapted from a recipe found on dishingouthealth.com
2 thoughts on “Paprika-Parmesan Smashed Potatoes”