This one-pan dinner is ready in no time, and you’ll love the bold Greek vibes in this dish. A perfect weeknight meal, this easy, “fancy” salmon recipe with vegetables and feta is brimming with healthy ingredients and enlivened Mediterranean flavors.
A couple of suggestions so that your salmon won’t dry out. Bring the fish closer to room temperature before baking. About 15 minutes before you start cooking, set the salmon on the counter to get it as close to room temperature as possible. Allowing the salmon fillets to return to room temperature helps them cook more evenly.
And, cover with foil to bake. Covering the pan with foil will trap the moisture and help cook the fish so that it is perfectly tender, moist, and flaky. Here, you’ll also par-cook the vegetables briefly before adding the salmon in.
The original recipe indicated to first cook the vegetables for 5-10 minutes before adding the salmon. We did not feel they were ready at that point and cooked them an additional 5 minutes, totaling 15 altogether. Since our fish was one slab, we let it sit out for 30 minutes to come to room temperature. Plus, due to the size and thickness, it took double the time at 20 minutes to cook to medium, 130°F after adding it atop the vegetables, covered with foil.
So we had to bide our time a little longer, but it was sooo worth the wait!
Baked Salmon with Vegetables and Feta
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sumac
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cored and sliced into thin sticks
- 5 oz. cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 4 to 5 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 to 6 oz. feta cheese block, cut into large chunks
- 6 to 7 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 6-oz. portions salmon fillet
- 1 to 2 large lemons, halved, for serving
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, sumac, and cumin.
- In a baking dish or sheet-pan, arrange the tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, and 4 to 5 whole garlic cloves. Nestle the chunks of feta in between. Sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons of the spice mixture and a good pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place the sheet pan in the heated oven on the center rack. Bake for 15 minutes until the veggies start to soften.
- Meanwhile, pat the fish dry and season on both sides with kosher salt and black pepper and the remainder of the spice mixture.
- Carefully remove the sheet pan/baking dish from the oven and add the fish in with the veggies and feta.
- Cover the sheet pan/baking dish with foil and return to the center rack of the heated oven. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily. (As one thick slab, ours took 20 minutes to reach the preferred 130°F.)
- Remove from the oven and immediately squeeze lemon juice onto the fish.
Adapted from a recipe from Suzy Karadheh