Meet weeknight cooking at its best! Combining a few flavorful ingredients like turkey sausage, onions and garlic, with pantry staples such as crushed tomatoes and Italian herbs, then utilizing a simple cooking technique, this recipe builds flavor with every step. And it’s easy-peasy!
Sliced onions and peppers are sautéed in the drippings left behind from cooking the sausage. Aromatic garlic and herbs get added toward the end, so they have time to bloom without getting overcooked. Acidic tomatoes help release any flavor stuck to the bottom of the pan after the other ingredients have been cooked, to the benefit of the entire dish.
So the end result is a single-dish dinner alive with richly spiced sausage, silky cooked vegetables, all bathing in a tomatoey pan sauce over a bed of egg noodles. To keep it low-carb, just nix the noodles.
Turkey Sausage Skillet
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 bell peppers of different colors, halved, seeded, and cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg. egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage slices and cook for about 10 minutes, until no longer pink inside (165°).
- Leaving as much fat in the pan, transfer to a plate and chop into smaller pieces. Sprinkle on the chopped oregano, and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions, peppers and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- To the skillet, stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomato and cooked sausage. heat to simmering while stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes until completely heated through and piping hot.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles and garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.