Shortbread is a celebration of simplicity—a combination of butter, sugar, and flour that adds up to so much more. Add M&Ms and a chocolate drizzle and you’ll knock it out of the park! And no eggs necessary.
Never made shortbread before? The “short” part refers to the lack of gluten development in this cookie. Liquid activates gluten, but because there’s no liquid in the recipe, the gluten doesn’t have a chance to develop protein that give other baked goods their chewy texture. Since the gluten is kept “short,” you get a tender, crumbly cookie that melts in the mouth.
Of course, you don’t need to know the science behind the dough to end up with tasty cookies!
M&M Shortbread Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups M&M chocolate candies (240 pieces)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional for drizzle
- 2 tsp. shortening, optional for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix butter, sugar and vanilla thoroughly using an electric mixer. Gradually blend in flour and corn starch.
- Form into 1-inch balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Gently flatten each cookie using a flat-bottomed drinking glass rubbed with softened butter and dipped in sugar to prevent sticking. Press M&M’s into top of cookies.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle melted chocolate* over the cooled cookies, if desired.
*Optional Chocolate Drizzle:
Place 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips plus 2 teaspoons shortening in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 60 seconds, then stir thoroughly. (If necessary, microwave another 15-30 seconds.) Transfer melted chocolate to a small pastry bag or squeeze bottle and drizzle over cooled cookies. Let dry completely before storing.