When selecting the type of beef to make your kebabs, you have unlimited choices but ultimately you want your beef on the skewer to be tasty, tender and not bust your wallet. For those looking for great flavor on a budget, sirloin tips work well if they are marinated ahead to make them more flavorful.
Sirloin steaks are usually cut about an inch thick to begin with, have little fat, and have a beefy flavor a little more delicate than other cuts. This allows you to get the full flavor of the marinade with a nice underlying beefiness that isn’t over powering. Top sirloin is the perfect steak for these kebabs.
Therefore, we recommend sticking with top sirlion or New York Strip since it’s more lean than some other steaks leaving you with nice uniform cubes and not a lot of excess fat. It has great flavor and comes out tender when marinated and properly cooked.
Because the meat and the veggies need different amounts of time to cook, we thread them onto to separate skewers. If at all possible, use metal skewers because they contribute to cooking the meat from the center as they pick up heat from the exposed parts and conduct it throughout.
It is a good idea not to crowd your metal skewers with pieces of food to expose more surface area for the food to caramelize. Doing this on a wooden skewer runs the risk of burning the skewers and losing food into the grill.
Want the perfect side dish to compliment your kebabs? Try Toasted Orzo Pasta Recipe with Garlic, Parmesan and Sun-dried Tomatoes.
Top Sirloin and Veggie Kebabs
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. top sirloin steak, cut into 1 1⁄2″ cubes
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, stems removed
- 10 cocktail tomatoes
- 1 each red and yellow pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1 1⁄2 pieces
- 1 large red onion, root intact, sliced into 12 wedges
- Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, and rosemary into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add steak to ziploc bag, pour in half of the marinade, mix to coat. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- In another ziploc bag, add all of the vegetables and the remaining half of the marinade. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak 16 in water for at least an hour.
- To assemble vegetable skewers: Start with a piece of red bell pepper, onion wedge, yellow pepper, mushroom, and so on until the vegetables are used up.
- On the meat skewers: Thread 7 pieces of beef onto 4 metal skewers (more if needed).
- Preheat the grill on high for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high and clean and then oil grates. Add vegetable skewers and cook for 4 minutes and then flip skewers.
- Add the meat skewers, cook for another 4 minutes, then turn.
- Baste all skewers a few times with the leftover marinade as you cook.
- Continue cooking for additional 2-3 minutes until an instant thermometer registers 130° on the meat.
- Transfer to serving plate. Garnish with fresh rosemary if desired.