Sheet Pan Salmon With Potatoes and Broccolini is another “Easy Dinner” from the Real Simple Magazine (RS), December 2018 issue. In the name of convenience, less dishes to wash, and healthy ingredients, I figured this was a must-try for a weeknight meal. Not only does this simple salmon and veggie dinner come together on one sheet pan, it keeps your shopping list short—a double win!
However, my main concern was with how the broccolini was treated. There was no way it was going to be anywhere near done in only two minutes under our broiler. (Gas ovens tend to have lousy broilers.) By steaming it in the microwave until crisp tender, the broccolini was at least partially cooked before I added it to the sheet pan.
I cut our 1 1/2-pound salmon fillet into three portions as opposed to four, weighing in at 8 ounces a piece. Therefore I reworked the cooking time table so that after the potatoes roasted (which were pretty small) for only 12 minutes, I added the salmon (on top of some sliced shallots), and cooked everything another 7 minutes before adding the broccolini. Then I broiled it all another 5 minutes total, turning the sheet as necessary for even browning.
The key to making this recipe work is the timing—and getting the broccolini just right. Starting the potatoes off first allows them to get a head start, instead of overcooking the salmon or fussy steps. The sauce is tangy and mahvelous, and brings everything together. Two thumbs up!
Sheet Pan Salmon with Potatoes and Broccolini
- 1 pound small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 6-oz. salmon fillets
- 1 pound Broccolini, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 shallot thinly sliced, (optional for salmon bed)
- 1½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub salmon with 1 tablespoon oil and season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Add salmon to sheet (over a bed of shallots slicing if using) and roast until potatoes are tender, 5 more minutes.
- Turn potatoes, add Broccolini to sheet, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Heat broiler and broil all until salmon and Broccolini are browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk lemon juice, minced shallot, and mustard with remaining ¼ cup oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and drizzle over salmon and vegetables.