Chicken Burgers with Lime, Pepper and Pickle—Who knew a lean burger could taste so light and bright? Lime zest and juice as well as fresh cilantro and red bell pepper brighten these babies beautifully. And the addition of dijon mustard with the mayonnaise raises the level of tang just a smidge more.
Every now and again it’s nice to change things up. And even though a grilled beef burger is an all-American favorite, especially during the warm weather months, these chicken patties are sure to make you raise an eyebrow or two.
Because the meat is so lean, they are best cooked in a cast-iron skillet as opposed to on the grill. You’ll still get a nice crisp char on the outside, but the meat will remain juicy on the interior.
Don’t leave off the pickle; that little bit of tang and crunch makes a big difference.
Chicken Burgers with Lime, Pepper and Pickles
- 1 lb. 98% lean ground chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 4 provolone cheese slices
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted if you like
- Sliced dill pickle chips
- Heat oil over medium-high in a large cast-iron skillet until shimmering.
- Put the chicken, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, lime zest and juice, pepper flakes, and 1-1/2 tsp. salt in a medium bowl, and use your hands to mix well (the mixture will be very moist).
- Divide evenly to make four patties. Put the burgers in the hot skillet.
- Sear, flipping once halfway through until the burgers are cooked to 160°F, about 7 minutes each side.
- Flip one last time and top each burger with a slice of cheese. Let melt about one minute more. Temperature should now be 165°F.
- Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with the dijon mustard in a small bowl until well combined.
- Spread the mayonnaise/mustard sauce on each of the bottom buns. Top with the burgers, lettuce, pickles, and top bun, and serve with chips or fries.
Adapted from a recipe by Diana Andrews