Another grilling recipe to keep you in the great outdoors. Grilled Chili-Garlic Flank Steak with Avocado Butter hails from chef/author Ronne Day of Fine Cooking in their “Make It Tonight” series. Our flank steak was unusually thick so the grilling time took almost twice as long, and even after resting it was still on the rare side—but oh, so tasty!
The amount of butter seemed excessive to me, so I cut it in half, down to 2 ounces (half of a stick) but kept the amounts of the other ingredients the same, and the butter compound was great! You don’t have to use all of the butter mixture on this steak, but it’s so good, you just might. Any leftover would be great on fish, breaded chicken cutlets, baked potatoes, or rice. A few days later, I indeed used ours on some baked potatoes.
Grilled Chili-Garlic Flank Steak with Avocado Butter
- 4 oz. (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 large ripe Hass avocado, cut into small dice
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. finely chopped serrano
- 1 tsp. toasted ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 packed tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 lb. flank steak
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, serrano, coriander, and 1/2 tsp. salt, and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the oil, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool, then rub it all over the steak. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a medium-high (400°F to 475°F) gas- or charcoal-grill fire, or heat a grill pan to medium high. Grill the steak, flipping once, until medium rare (125°F to 130°F), about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, smear with a good amount of the butter, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain and serve with the remaining butter, if you like.
1 thought on “Grilled Chili-Garlic Flank Steak with Avocado Butter”