Wild rice, a highly nutritious grain is actually a semi-aquatic grass that historically has grown in lakes, tidal rivers and bays. Add fresh cremini mushrooms and ground dried shiitakes to provide a winning combination of meaty texture and flavor.
Some health benefits of wild rice:
- Wild rice is a gluten free food.
- It does not contain sodium: good news for your blood pressure and your heart.
- It does take about an hour to cook, but rewards you with a lovely nutty flavor.
- It contains twice as much protein as brown rice.
- Wild rice can be eaten by diabetics, since it is actually a grass, and the grains are not polished or refined. Of course, small quantities are recommended.
- It is very rich in antioxidants—containing up to 30 times more than white rice! Which means regular consumption of wild rice protects you from disease and ageing.
- Because of its high fiber content, wild rice keeps your digestion smooth and helps lower cholesterol.
Check out this heart-healthy yummy soup under the Soups tab…