Many years ago when I first started dating Russ, I made a version of this salad from scratch on one extremely hot summer day. We were getting ready to attend an outdoor concert and it was so ungodly hot and humid out, I couldn’t fathom the idea of cooking. It escapes me where I even obtained the recipe from, and have since lost the instructions. Then a short time ago, we wanted to throw together a quick dinner using up some raw shrimp and discovered the jar of Trader Joe’s Thai Green Curry Sauce in our pantry.
Since much of the wonderful flavors are already in the jarred sauce, all I had to do was enhance the meal with some colorful veggies and/or fruit. Luckily I happened to have a red bell pepper and a ripe mango on hand too. And we already had mint growing outside, so I was able to snip enough to use as a garnish.
I love this tasty, super-easy summer salad as lunch, dinner or as a picnic contribution (just increase the amounts.) It is chockfull of flavors and can be served at room temperature and made a day ahead of time if needed. (But don’t incorporate the mint and cilantro until you’re ready to use.) And if you’re just not a seafood person, shred up some rotisserie chicken from the supermarket instead.
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 jar Trader Joe’s Thai Green Curry Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. small to medium uncooked, cleaned, deveined shrimp
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 6 scallions, greens only, chopped into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small fresh jalapeño, minced (optional)
- Cook the rice according to instructions. While rice is cooking, warm the Trader Joe Green Curry sauce over a low heat.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add shrimp for a mere one to two minutes until just pink and done. Drain over colander and set aside.
- Cube all peppers, mangoes, and scallion greens. Mince jalapeño if using. Place all into a large bowl.
- Add rice into same bowl and mix together. Add the shrimp, herbs and sauce over the rice mixture and stir all until well melded. (If not eating the salad right away, wait until ready to use to mix in fresh herbs.)
Optional ingredients: fresh corn kernels, cubed avocado, or additional coconut milk to up the sweetness quotient.