When you’re craving a little barbecue flavor in Winter (OK, so it’s technically Spring already, but it doesn’t feel like it yet), this recipe does the trick. And that’s what we were hankering for, so this recipe by Juli Roberts from Fine Cooking fit the bill with a nice flavor punch — Delicioso!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 Tbs. minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- 1 lb. flank steak
- Position an oven rack 6 inches below the broiler and heat the broiler on high. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Combine 1 tsp. of the oil, the garlic, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Add the chipotle and honey and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and zest.
- Rub the flank steak with the remaining 1 tsp. oil and season generously with salt. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and broil, turning once, until slightly browned and cooked to your liking, about 3 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Spread the glaze over the top of the steak and broil until it begins to bubble and darken in places, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve.
While Fine Cooking suggests you pair it with mashed sweet potatoes, we made a side of roasted brussels sprouts with garlic and pancetta, and baked onion rings.