The love affair begins with the dressing, which is the key to adding unforgettable flavor. Just like a romance, it is sweet, spicy, tangy—with a jolt of garlic thrown in. Although I had to laugh at the notion that this Honey Garlic Shrimp, Corn, and Avocado Bacon Salad recipe from Half-Baked Harvest was supposed to feed six. Including daughter Julia who was in for a visit, the three of us polished it off entirely—yes, it was THAT good!
While there is not much cooking, you do need to char the ears of corn, crisp the bacon and sear the shrimp. Afterward, it comes together in minutes. Honey garlic seared shrimp cooked together with the bacon drippings is then tossed up in a fresh salad of romaine, grilled corn, salty feta, and creamy avocado. The herby dressing is so deliciously flavorful and pulls it altogether. You will be pining for more 💜…
To simplify things on dinner night, pre-prep by making the crispy bacon pieces and charred corn ahead of time, let cool, and store until ready to use.
Honey Garlic Shrimp, Corn and Avocado Bacon Salad
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. grainy dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup mixed herbs, chopped (rosemary and basil)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 slices thick bacon, chopped after cooking
- 6 cups regular or baby romaine, chopped
- 3 ears grilled corn, kernels removed from the cob
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (don’t buy the pre-crumbled variety)
- To make the dressing. Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, toss the shrimp with 1/3 of the dressing. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan. Roughly chop when cooled.
- Add the shrimp to the hot bacon fat and cook on both sides until seared, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the heat. You will need to do this in two batches.
- To make the salad, combine the greens, corn, and tomatoes in a salad bowl and toss with a little dressing. Add the shrimp, bacon, and avocados. Spoon the dressing overtop. Top with feta. Season with freshly cracked pepper and salt. Serve warm or cold.
Adapted from a recipe by Half-Baked Harvest