Tofu and Summer Veg Curry is a perfect way to savor some summer vegetables and transport them to bright and cozy comfort. This quick vegetarian curry from Heidi Swanson, the vegetarian cookbook author and blogger behind 101 Cookbooks, is a great way to use a bounty of eggplant, summer squash and green beans.
Maddeningly, the supermarket was not carrying Japanese eggplant at the time I went food shopping, so I used Italian, which still had a great finish. I was rather surprised at the low amount of moisture in the dish, considering that the recipe didn’t call for sweating the zucchini and eggplant beforehand—which saved a lot of time.
A third-cup of red curry paste may seem like overload, but the dish was not very spicy in our humble opinion. If anything, The Hubster and I both thought it could have been MORE spicy. You can eat it as is, but we agreed that it definitely needed to be ladled over some sort of noodle or rice—in our case, it was rice noodles.
FYI—I eliminated the 1/2 cup water to form a richer broth. If you want it back in, it was in Step 5 with the coconut milk.
Tofu and Summer Veg Curry
4 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 14-oz. package firm or extra-firm tofu, patted dry, cut into ½” cubes
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
⅓ cup red curry paste
2 large zucchini, cut into ½” pieces
1 large or 2 small Japanese eggplant, cut into ½” pieces
8 oz. green beans, trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces
1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
Lime wedges, cilantro leaves with tender stems, and coarsely chopped salted, roasted peanuts (for garnish)
- Rice noodles
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-high. Add tofu in a single layer and cook, turning over once, until cooked sides are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with kosher salt.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large pot or high-sided skillet over medium-high. Add onions and a generous pinch of salt and stir to coat. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste and cook, stirring often, until darkened in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, and green beans and cook, tossing to coat, until vegetables are softened and starting to brown in spots, 5–7 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add tofu to pot and stir gently to combine. Cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season with more salt if needed.
- Meanwhile, make rice noodles according to package directions.
- Divide rice noodles among bowls, ladle curry over noodles, and add a generous squeeze of lime juice to each. Top with cilantro and peanuts.