- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon orange juice from 1 orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced very fine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Use immediately.
APPLYING THE RUB
Our 4 lb. chicken took about 70 minutes in the middle of the grill, where it wouldn’t burn but would receive ample heat. Fire up all burners on the grill until super hot, then turn off all but one. Oil up the grate and lay the bird breast-side down over an off-burner for 35 minutes. Turn it over and cook another 35 minutes. Remove the chicken onto a cutting board with routed edges and tent with foil. As Russ said “This puts the ‘suck’ back into succulent,” and he meant that in a good way… It was one juicy bird!
The recipe called for brining the bird for one hour for tender, juicy meat. Since we were running late, we skipped the brining step, and the end result seemed no less juicy to us!