This sausage and noodle casserole is an excellent choice for an everyday weeknight meal with a bit of nostalgia thrown in. With no more than 15 minutes prep time, you’ll have a satisfying family dinner in under an hour. It’s a tasty one-pot meal to serve with steamed vegetables or a salad—our choice. To beef it up even more, include dinner rolls or buttermilk biscuits.
The recipe was predicated on the fact that I wanted to use up a package of Martin’s brand fresh chicken sausages with feta and fresh spinach. So a comfort-food casserole came to mind. And for the crisp crumbly topping, I combined homemade focaccia croutons with some grated parmesan.
Decades ago using Campbell’s Cream-of-whatever soup was a mainstay for many home chefs. My favorite used to be the Golden Cream of Mushroom. Somehow this casserole called out for one of those soups, so I selected the Cream of Chicken (another option would be Cream of Broccoli). And instead of combining it with water, you know my mantra “use homemade stock” if at all possible.
We absolutely loved it! The leftovers didn’t least long…
Chicken Sausage and Noodle Casserole
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 3, 8″ chicken sausage links
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1, 10 3/4-oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup croutons, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh Parsley, chopped as garnish
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish or spray it with cooking oil spray.
- Cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling salted water following the package directions.
- Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Place the sausage links into a large skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes, flipping several times until browned all over. Remove from pan and cut 1/2-inch slices at a diagonal.
- Add the chopped onion and red bell pepper to now empty skillet.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5-6 minutes. Drain off excess drippings, if any. Return sausage slices to pan and heat for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage/vegetable mixture with the cream of chicken soup, broth, and cooked noodles. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with crumbled crouton/cheese combination.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.