It is sweltering here on the East Coast so who the heck wants to slave over a hot stove, or even a fiery grill? Fresh, colorful, and a little crunch from the cabbage and cashews, this cool Chicken Cabbage Salad with Basil, Cilantro, and Cashews salad is perfect on a sizzling summer’s night. You can whip up this Asian-inspired baby in 10-15 minutes, especially if you pick up a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
And if you grow an herb garden, there’s a high likelihood that you can already harvest enough fresh basil and possibly even cilantro. Finish with a squeeze of lime and a light sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Yummy!
We loved the flavor profile of this crunchy satisfying salad. And any leftovers won’t be a soggy mess—just don’t add the cashews until your ready to eat it.
Chicken Cabbage Salad with Basil, Cilantro and Cashews
- 3 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups very thinly sliced purple cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (store-bought rotisserie works well)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Flaky sea salt
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashew halves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and fish sauce with 2 Tbs. water. Add the garlic and pepper flakes, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, chicken, scallions, basil, and cilantro with the dressing.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve topped with the cashews and the lime wedges on the side.
Recipefrom Fine Cooking